International Day of Families at Wayamba University – May, 2016

A #MeetTheUN session was held at Wayamba University, Kuliyapitiya in May 2016, to mark International Day of Families.

UN Heads of Agencies and Officials participated in the session, representing the World Health Organization (WHO), UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, UN-Habitat Sri Lanka, and UNICEF Sri Lanka.

Over 100 students of Wayamba University participated in the session, which provided the unique opportunity for youth to directly engage with members of the UN Country Team and other senior UN officials. The theme for this year's International Day of Families is 'Families, Healthy Lives, and Sustainable Future'.

In line with the theme, WHO set-up a health camp to screen students for diabetes, blood pressure and BMI, followed by a healthy breakfast. UNHCR delivered a session on 'Protections and Solutions for Displaced Families', while UN HABITAT showcased vidoes on 'Supporting families to build sustainable and healthy homes.' UNICEF delivered an interactive session on Online Safety.

Students engaged in the interactive sessions conducted by the participating agencies, and also engaged in a powerful forum theatre performance delivered by ACT4 Theatre for Change. The theater performance highlighted social issues faced by families, and invited students to brainstorm ways in which these issues can be solved.